Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Mascot Madness

I'm filling out a bunch of brackets this year so that I'm happy no matter what happens. As I was going through and filling out my "Best Mascot/Logo" based bracket, I ran into a few schools with just outstanding athletic namesakes. On top of that, the physical representations of these mascots put them in an elite category.

In the West region, I came upon an incredibly difficult 12 vs 13 matchup between the North Dakota State Bison and the New Mexico State Aggies. First, I discovered that the New Mexico State Aggie is THIS GUY.
Pistol Pete and his Mascotache
Before I had a chance to fully investigate this mascot's moustache authenticity, I was pleased to discover that a friendly cartoon Bison with a bowl cut shows up at NDSU games.

Apparently North Dakota is where the wild things are.
Logos with guns are always fun.
What a tight matchup! Both schools have great nicknames and logos, equally charming and obscure in their own special ways. I was pretty much stuck until research done by my friend Nick Schwartz, who writes for For The Win at USA Today Sports, revealed that the NDSU Bison mascot's name is Thundar. Before I jumped to make the pick on a purely emotional reaction to the greatness of that name, I looked up the NMSU mascot's name: Pistol Pete. Great, but no Thundar.


Thundar is mythical and majestic.

I like how the words flow with the mane.









So, in my "Best Mascot/Logo" bracket, North Dakota State will be moving on to the second weekend. We can only hope for a dream matchup in the final four with the Stephen F. Austin University Lumberjacks, whose real-life mascot is confusedly played by these two different but equally studly guys.


I swear this guy was on "Lost."
Jersey Shore needs lumberjacks too...
The blonde looks like more of a friendly, "I chop down trees but I also hug them" sort of fellow, while the other Jack looks like he fist pumps to Avicci songs while chopping down trees and courting numerous women.

Regardless, that would be a matchup for the ages. Let the games begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment