Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Saturday Afternoon in Merrymont


Merrymont is an eclectic collection of small homes nestled within a sprawling residential section of Martinez, GA, just northwest of Augusta. Around here it is pronounced "Martin-ez," (like it's a non-hispanic guy's first name) and I gave up about a year ago on trying to make a cultural statement by correctly pronouncing it Martinez (like a hispanic guy's last name). For the last two years this neighborhood has been my home.

Bordered by the slightly more upscale Spring Lakes to the south and east (but with no physical barrier between the two), Merrymont is full of American working-class diversity and charm. The longer I have lived here, the more I have come to appreciate its quirks and eccentricities. Its idiosyncratic qualities make it unique and interesting amongst the convergence of highly maintained and manicured subdivisions that make up much of neighboring Evans, GA.

I have come to love my neighborhood. It is not hip. It is not artsy. It is not trendy. It is not known. It has no carefully constructed identity. It is purely, simply, American. And it is full of life. Real life.

On a recent Saturday afternoon, I attempted to capture some of its character with my camera. These photos are just a peek into its strange and wonderful vibrance.
















































No comments:

Post a Comment